STELVIO NATIONAL PARK
The birth of the Stelvio National Park is immediately following that of the Circeo park, having been established with Law no. 740 of 24 April 1935 and after the extension of the surface decided by the Presidential Decree of 23/4/1977, covers an area of 134,620 hectares in the Lombardy and Trentino-Alto Adige regions. The park is mainly privately owned and minimally public (state property) and is among the largest Italian national parks where all the characteristic natural environments of the Alps are represented, with a great variety of landscapes and a wealth of species. animals and plants.
The fragmentation of its territory partly belonging to the Lombardy Region and partly to the two autonomous provinces of Trento and Bolzano affected its protection. In fact, the park to the north comes into contact with the Swiss Engadine National Park and to the south with the Trentino Adamello-Pressanella Natural Park. In this way, in addition to being among the largest parks in Italy, it forms the largest protected natural area in central-southern Europe.
The management was entrusted to the State Forestry Corps, until the entry into force of the DPCM of 26.11.1993 with the constitution of the Consorzio del PN Stelvio, in application of the framework law on protected areas n. 394/91, which implemented the 1974 Presidential Decree which provided for the implementation of a consortium between the State and the two autonomous provinces of Trento and Bolzano.
With the establishment of the Consortium, subject to the supervision of the Ministry of the Environment, they remain with the C.F.S. only the surveillance functions of the territories falling within the Lombardy region; on 29.9.1995 the territorial coordination of the C.F.S. for the Environment (CTA) based in Bormio (SO). The Forestry Corps of the two autonomous Provinces of Trento and Bolzano provides for the remaining parts. (DPCM 26.11.1993, art.11)